Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter in Virginia

On Monday the 13th Tim flew from O'Hare to Dulles and then to the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport. On Tuesday he sang the tenor solos in his high school's production of the Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah. He spent Wednesday hanging out with old friends, singing in chapel and talking with the senior choir about life after high school. The school was scheduled to put on another performance Thursday.

I spent the week going to work and missing Tim. Early Thursday morning my brother Michael picked me up and drove me to O'Hare. I flew to Dulles, and then sat in the airport for approximately 3 hours waiting for the airport personnel to clear the runways of snow and de-ice the planes so that I could fly to the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport. My plane finally took off a couple hours late and I made it safely to Virginia, where Tim picked me up. That is where I found out that because of 3 measly little inches of snow, the concert was canceled for that evening! I found this very interesting since the snow had stopped by mid-afternoon and the main roads were in pretty good condition by the time the concert would have been held. Oh, and the sun was out. Apparently the school couldn't get their parking lot cleared by show time.

Instead of going to a concert as planned, we spent the evening with Tim's good friend James, his wife Dana and their four adorable children. We had a very nice evening of food and fellowship despite our plans being changed at the last minute. Thank you to them for hosting us last minute!

Tim and I were able to have breakfast Friday morning with his grandparents. We then took Mom-mom with us to the Dayton Farmer's Market to browse and enjoy a frozen hot chocolate! We might have done a little Christmas shopping while we were there as well, but I can't say for sure! ;)

We were supposed to fly back the same way we had gotten to Virginia on Friday evening, but on arriving at the airport were told that because of mechanical issues the flight was delayed a couple of hours. This would cause us to miss our connecting flight to O'Hare. The airline provided a limo to drive us to Dulles so that no one would miss their connecting flight. But Dulles is a two hour drive from the airport, which meant we would be arriving with only about half an hour to get Tim's bag checked, go through security and make it to our gate in time! Not a fun way to travel! I don't like the stress of worrying about missing a flight. We ended up being one of the last few people to board the plane. The only consolation for the hassle United put us through was that they upgraded our seats so that we had twice as much leg room on the way home!

All in all, I would say this was a memorable trip! (sorry, no pictures!)

1 comment:

  1. What a mess of a trip! I had no idea you guys went through so much hassel. It's too bad airlines can't be a little more reliable, eh? And that's frustrating about the canceled concert, after all that traveling and such. That's Virginia for ya. Snow makes them worry...alot!
    Well, I'm glad you were still able to join Tim and spend the memorable times with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete